Sunday, November 15, 2009

Has anyone else made rose petal beads?

I've got a decent recipe and the clay like consistency and color seem right. But when I dry them, they come out like petrified raisins, no matter what shape I mold them into to start with. Any suggestions?

Has anyone else made rose petal beads?
Wow, finally, someone else has tried this (I asked a question about this a while back, and the answers were somewhat satisfying). Most of mine are on the wrinkly side, although I did have one batch that was very raisiny--it was the batch I made where I didn't tear up the petals very small. The recipe I had recommended using a blender (which I didn't have, hence the tearing up). For the next batch I used an old coffee grinder, and while they're on the bumpy side, they're significantly better-I'm pretty sure I could sand them smooth if I had to.


As for the color--assuming you're boiling your petals, it's probably the heat. If they get too hot, they do tend to lose their color a bit, and according to the recipe I have, pretty much any color but red ends up a nasty brown. I have a tendency to overcook mine a bit, but they still have this nice dark, dark, purpley color.
Reply:Hi VQ :)





I've never attempted this gorgeous-sounding creation, but I just did some research about it in order to help you and found that somebody said to add water whenever the water evaporated. If you don't then maybe your rose pulp dried out.





I hope your next one comes out the way it's supposed to. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment