Thursday, May 20, 2010

Do I need a high pressure master cylinder if I changed my 73 Nova from drum to disc brakes?

I changed front %26amp; rear brakes from drum to disc on my 73 Nova. After bleeding the brakes, the petal is still soft. Master cylinder is a stock non power unit.

Do I need a high pressure master cylinder if I changed my 73 Nova from drum to disc brakes?
To add to what Dave said, there may be a distribution block, but also make sure the proportioning valve is for disc brakes or the car will never stop right. Also make sure you have bench bled the new master cylinder.
Reply:You need a master cylinder for disc brakes. Disk brakes take more fluid to move the pistons and the drum brake cylinder will not move the correct volume of fluid to move the caliper pistons. You may also need to install the disc/drum block after the mastercylinder. Go to any good brake web site for the correct parts. Plenty of Nova owner web sites to help you out.


No comments:

Post a Comment